What are whole grains?
The most natural state of a grain, whole grains are the entire seed of a plant. This seed aka the "kernel" is made up of three edible parts – the bran, the germ, and the endosperm – protected by an inedible husk that protects the whole grain.
Are whole grains really better for you?
Yes, they provide more protein, fiber and important vitamins and minerals. Non-whole grains lose about 25% of the protein due to the lack of bran and germ. Whole grains may be eaten whole, cracked, split or ground. They can be milled into flour or used to make breads, cereals and other processed foods. See below types of popular whole grains that are available in most good supermarkets.
Some of my favourite whole grain foods are:
- Corn - Fresh corn on the cob. Popcorn. Corn cakes. Tortillas. Has the highest level of antioxidants!
- Oats - Porridge. Colesterol-lowering fiber!
- Quinoa - Use it like rice. Contains high levels of protein & essential amino acids!
- Whole grain rice - High in nutrients & most easily digested!
- Whole grain wheat - Bread. High in protein!