Sometimes working out at home is the only option, whether you prefer the privacy of our own home or can’t get out to the gym due to your circumstances. For me, this was how I started getting fit without spending a penny. I will share some of the best workouts to do at home that I used to get fit and sometimes still use when I fancy staying in. These home workouts are basic bodyweight exercises but will get you burning calories in no time. You may want to check out my blog on essential gym kit, which is also great for wearing at home!
Workouts to do at home
- Ok to start with, and probably the most well know body weight exercise – the press up (aka push ups). A well known workout that can be done pretty much anywhere. There are many variations of the press up, such as wide, normal, close, alternating, spiderman etc. This can be handy when doing workouts at home because it provides a variety for when you are bored of doing the same thing over and over.
- Next up, sit ups! Again these have many variants but I started with the basic sit up. This is simply because I could feel the abs being worked hard as I did them.
- Another great workout to do at home is the step up. All you need is a chair really, or a couple thick books stacked up. With these you do 30 second sprints of step-up step-down etc. The higher the step or chair, the harder it will be.
- Try some tricep-dips. Using the chair from the previous exercise, sit on it as you would normally. Then place your palms on the front edge of the chair almost under your legs and lift your bum off the seat and down towards the floor. Raise back up (don’t sit back down), then back down again. A great workout at home that will get your tri-ceps toned.
- Bicep curls are a great way to tone those bi-ceps. All you need is a heavy item that you hold using a regular grip, or two smaller items. Hold the item or items by your side or just in front of you. Bend your elbows as you raise your arms up towards your upper chest. then lower back down and repeat.
With these few home workouts you can create various routines, you can easily make a circuit and do a minute of each exercise and repeat for about 45 minutes to an hour. Why not try some of these workouts to do at home when you can’t get to the gym? Don’t forget to eat high protein foods to stay fuller for longer and repair your muscles after your workout!